Friday, August 13, 2010

My prayer...

during these last couple days has been...sustain and give us peace. 

Not praying for a miracle. Not praying for complete healing.  I saw the ultrasound, watched the biopsy and saw the cells.  Kristi has thyroid cancer.  And it is not going away unless we march down the path of getting rid of it. So I am praying instead for the right doctors, the right treatment and the peace that comes in knowing that you are on that right path. 

Right now Kris is on an information gathering mission - which has given us good news (the surgeon she is scheduled with is one of the best in the nation with regard to the surgery she will be having...and he likes Shelby and fishing)....there are more than one type of thyroid cancers and this one seems to be the least aggressive of them all (papillary), and Dr. Khan is going to be more than just her very competent and gentle physician - she is going to be her advocate and friend.  There is a wonderful support group that meets monthly at the lake that Kristi already attended and was both comforted and frightened all at the same time (and I could kick myself that I got all involved in work today and forgot I wanted to go with her to that support group...grrrr).  Her information gathering has also given us some not so good news....her surgery is going to be a rough one....and because of the need for multiple physicians to be available - it cannot be scheduled until the 30th.   But there is a sense of peace even in knowing that she has some time before her surgery to get work all squared away...get the kids settled in school....and get her arms around this life changing diagnosis.

Tomorrow we are taking a couple hours to hang out, get massages (YES!!!) and pedicures!  I haven't done anything like this in at least 2 years! 

I end this post with a picture of our littlest baby girl.  Who makes us laugh even on our worst days with her very loud obnoxious noises....followed by her sweet fake girly voice....and her tenacious spirit that reminds me of ALL the women in our family!  Just ask our husbands...we are some tough cookies!

No comments: